Multigenerational Households in Fort Worth & North Houston
Multigenerational households are becoming more and more common in the United States. In fact, the number of Americans living with multiple generations in the same home is now over 60 million.
Pew Research Center defines multigenerational households as those with two or more adult generations living under the same roof. In Texas, 4.5% of households are multigenerational and that number is growing. More people are moving to Fort Worth and North Houston and many of those include multigenerational families moving into a single home.
Moving a Multigenerational Household
Moving can be complex, regardless of the situation. However, if you’re moving a multigenerational household to a new home, or family members are moving into your home, the complexity can increase. For example, you may be called upon to help your parents downsize prior to the move or have a tight timeline. This is why it’s important to create a moving plan in order to make the transition as smooth as possible.
Before moving, it’s a good idea to get the whole family on the same page. Go over rules, expectations, and individual responsibilities so that everyone is prepared for the change to come. Having an open discussion with everyone involved will allow for any concerns about the change to be addressed. You can also divvy up moving tasks such as packing and organizing, to different family members.
Make the Move Using Self-Storage
Self-storage plays a key role in a stress-free, multigenerational move. Using self-storage solutions can help you:
- Make room to grow. It’s important to have realistic expectations about what can fit in the home. If new family members are moving into an existing household, you’ll need to adjust to make room for them. Consider storing seasonal or unused items in self-storage until they are needed.
- Downsize gently. Parting with treasured items can be difficult for those at any age. Aging parents, for example, may feel overwhelmed by the process. A self-storage unit can be used to house keepsakes, furniture, and more until a final decision is made.
- Keep rooms clutter free. Perhaps a family member needs to bring more household items than expected. Self-storage allows any family member to easily keep items in tip-top condition until the timing is right to move them into the home.
Ready to make your move? Bargain Storage has self-storage facilities located in Fort Worth and North Houston as well as throughout the state of Texas.
We have three storage locations in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Our East Fort Worth facility offers month-to-month rentals and automated access 365 days a year. There’s also space for boat and RV parking.
- The newly renovated West Fort Worth location has a wide variety of drive-up units that can fit the contents of a hall closet up to an entire household.
- Our Eastchase storage facility in Fort Worth offers drive-up access and a wide range of self-storage unit sizes.
Our North Houston facility is newly renovated with climate-controlled storage units. It’s the perfect place to store your belongings for the short or long term and has space for parking your boat or RV as well!
Each of our storage units are available at competitive prices and are run by the experienced and friendly team at Bargain Storage. For more information on how a self-storage unit can make your multigenerational move more efficient, contact us today!